Ekica Trust is a charity registered in England and Wales (1183980)
This Privacy Notice explains what to expect when Ekica Fundraising collects and uses your personal information. We encourage you to read this notice carefully and if you’d like to learn more about our data protection and privacy policies or get further clarification, please contact our team and we will be happy to assist.
Ekica Fundraising is committed to respecting your privacy and ensuring the personal information you have entrusted to us is held securely. We take data protection seriously and process personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and the Privacy & Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.
We also abide by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679, which came into effect in the UK in May 2018 and replaced the Data Protection Act 1998. These laws strengthen your rights to privacy and give you control over the personal information that organisations hold about you.
HOW WE COLLECT PERSONAL INFORMATION
We collect personal information in the following ways:
Directly from you when you:
• Make the generous decision to become a donor or child sponsor to bring hope to a child.
• Make a donation (which may be financial or non-financial/ in-kind);
• Visit our website. Please see our Cookies section for more information;
• Request for resources to share about Ekica Fundraising;
• Contact us with an enquiry;
• Complete a survey;
• Are a leader and/or have a key role in an organisation working in partnership with Ekica Fundraising;
• Register to host an Ekica event;
From other sources:
• We may use the Royal Mail’s postcode finder, National Change of Address update (NCOA®) or the electoral roll, to check the accuracy of the address we hold;
• Information made available publicly by Charity Commission, Companies House or information that has been published in newspapers and articles. Please read more about how we use this information in the Fundraising section.
THE PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Any personal details you may choose to give us including:
• Personal identifiers such as your title, name and date of birth (only where it is required);
• Contact details including postal address, post code, email and telephone number;
• Financial information such as your bank details (if you are setting up a standing order);
• Whether you are a UK tax payer;
• Letters you write to your sponsored child;
• Records of your contact with us.
Sensitive personal data
Ekica Fundraising will always treat any sensitive personal data we process with greater care and process the information in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation.
WHY WE COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
• For the administration of the child sponsorship programme and donations we receive from you. The benefits of becoming a child sponsor include; sending you information about your sponsored child; other relevant life events; child letters; responding to your queries and acknowledging the gifts you give. There are instances where a sponsored child departs the programme for a number of reasons. We will promptly notify you and ask that you consider sponsoring another child who we will link you with.
• To process the monthly sponsorship payment and any other donations.
• To reclaim tax on Gift Aid donations, if applicable.
• To verify that you are over 18 and if not, obtain permission from your parent/guardian to process your information or accept any regular donations.
• To enable us to take greater care when engaging with our older supporters.
• To provide access to information about your sponsored child and the opportunity to write and receive letters electronically.
• When you visit our website, we may gather information about which pages you visit to help us improve and provide you with the best service.
• To determine and improve the effectiveness of our website and marketing campaigns.
• To create and steward effective partnerships with UK organisations including Businesses, Churches, School and Youth organisations.
• To keep you informed through our electronic and printed newsletters.
• To enable us to contact you with relevant and the most appropriate information.
• To manage and coordinate our volunteers.
• For compliance with employment law and other statutory requirements.
We would like to share news about how your support is changing the lives of children, families and communities where we work in Tanzania. This includes sending you information about our work, news, appeals, campaigns, events, information on volunteering and prayer needs.
Email and text marketing:
We will ask for your permission to contact you by email or text for marketing purposes.
From time to time we may send you information about our work unless you have told us you would prefer not to receive this information by post.
Ekica Fundraising is committed to respecting your choice to receive marketing information. You can update your permission and contact preferences at any time by:
• Calling our office on 07845206566
• Emailing email@example.com
• Clicking the ‘unsubscribe’ link included in each email communication we send.
You may give permission for your information to be viewed publicly depending on your settings or the privacy policies for social media and messaging services like LinkedIn.
We monitor information security compliance and have written contracts which obligate our third party providers to process your personal information only on our instructions and in accordance with applicable data protection and privacy laws.
Ekica Fusndraising may be under duty to disclose your personal information where required in order to comply with any statutory or legal obligation (e.g. HMRC for Gift Aid).
YOUR INFORMATION RIGHTS AND CHOICES
The General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) gives you the right:
• To request in writing and securely obtain copies of the personal information Ekica Fundraising holds about you.
• To correct or update your personal information processed by Ekica Fundraising.
• To request Ekica Fundraising to stop using your personal information for marketing purposes or for any other purpose where there is no legal requirement for continued processing.
The Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations (PECR) gives you the right:
• To choose whether or not to receive marketing communication from us by email, text or telephone. Please see the Marketing Permissions section for more information about how to change or update your contact permissions and preferences.
• To know about the cookies Ekica Fundraising uses, so that you can decide whether to give us permission to store a cookie on your device. Please see the Cookies section for more information.
For more information about your information rights visit www.ico.org.uk
Reporting concerns or compliments
Please contact us if you wish to raise a concern about Ekica Fundraising’s handling of your personal information, or compliment what you think we have done well.
You also have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commissioner’s Office about how we manage your data.
HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR DATA
Ekica Fundraising will only keep your personal information for as long as it is required and in accordance with statutory requirements. For example, HMRC requires that we keep a record of your name, address and Gift Aid declaration for six years from the date of your last donation. Where the information is no longer required, we will ensure that it is disposed of in a secure manner.
If you have indicated that you do not wish to hear from us in the future, we will keep the minimum information necessary to meet our statutory and legal obligations (e.g. HMRC requirement) and ensure we avoid contacting you any further.
CHANGES TO THIS PRIVACY NOTICE
Ekica Fundraising will review our privacy notice regularly. The terms of this notice may be updated at any time for example, in the event of changes in law and how we operate. Please do check our website from time to time. If there are any significant changes in the way we process your personal information, we will provide a prominent notice on our website or send a notification.